tailedfox chat forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tailedfox chat forum

Everything explains itself.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Avacs Live Chat
Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 7:44 am by not

» H-P Forecast Misses Estimates Amid PC Slump
Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 11:22 pm by hurricanemaxi

» S&P Keeps U.S. Rating at AA+ After Panel Failure
Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 11:21 pm by hurricanemaxi

» U.S. Debt Panel Fails to Agree on Cuts
Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 11:21 pm by hurricanemaxi

» Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone
Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:53 am by hurricanemaxi

» DoCoMo Plans to Increase Operating Profit
Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:53 am by hurricanemaxi

» Japan Exports Fall as China Sees World Slump
Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:52 am by hurricanemaxi

» Smexiest Man Actor
Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 2:59 pm by JynxyChan

» How to rule the world and what to do once you're in control...
Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 2:56 pm by JynxyChan

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hurricanemaxi
Noob
Noob

Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone Empty
PostSubject: Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone   Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:53 am

Indian investigators raided the offices of Vodafone India Ltd. and Bharti Airtel Ltd. (BHARTI), two of the country’s largest mobile-phone companies, in a widening probe into alleged irregularities in the sale of mobile-phone airwaves dating back to 2001.

The Central Bureau of Investigation registered a case against three phone companies and two government officials for alleged wrongdoing during the granting of additional second- generation spectrum, causing a loss of about 5.1 billion rupees ($100 million) during 2001-2007, it said on its website.

A deeper CBI investigation targeting the sale of phone licenses under the previous government may aid Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by blunting opposition parties’ attacks over his failure to tackle corruption. Rival parties have channeled growing public anger at scandals, including allegations of graft in the 2008 sale of phone licenses, stalling parliament and disrupting the government’s legislative agenda.

Spokesmen at Bharti Airtel, India’s biggest mobile-phone company, and Vodafone India, a unit of Vodafone Group Plc (VOD), denied any wrongdoing. The bureau also searched residences of Shyamal Ghosh, the telecom secretary in the federal government during 2001-02, and J.R. Gupta, then director at state-owned telecom company Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd., according to Dharini Mishra, a spokeswoman at the bureau.

In 2007, Newbury, England-based Vodafone entered the Indian market when it bought a 67 percent stake in Hutchison Essar, Hutchison Whampoa Ltd.’s local unit and India’s third-biggest mobile-phone carrier, for about $10.7 billion.
BJP Rule

Bharti shares fell 1.5 percent to 391.75 rupees as of 10.54 a.m. in Mumbai today. The benchmark BSE India Sensitive Index was down 1.1 percent.

The probe seeks information about possible malpractice in allocating spectrum during 2001-02 when Pramod Mahajan was the telecom minister under the National Democratic Alliance government led by the Bharatiya Janata Party, the main opposition to the current government, Mishra said. Mahajan has been excluded from the case since he is deceased, the bureau said.

“All our documents are in complete compliance with the governing laws and regulations,” Suresh Rangarajan, spokesman at Vodafone, said in an e-mailed statement on Nov. 19. “Vodafone India is completely co-operating with the officials and will provide them all the required details as part of their checks.”
Online Bingo
winning lottery numbers
Back to top Go down

Indian Federal Investigators Indict Vodafone
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
tailedfox chat forum :: General-
Jump to: